Monday, June 6, 2011

Staring at cabinets

The mudroom is painted! I still have to take pics, but I have to "stage" it first. Right?

Weekend #1 is over. One room down, 11 rooms and a basement to go!

My job during the week is limited to what I can do during Ava's 2 hour nap, or what she can "help" me with. That means clean, organize, clean, and PLAN!

My lists are not exciting. Skip over them, if you like.

To do:
Renovate kitchen, possible new cabinets
Paint dining room, "parlor", living room. (All large rooms)
Paint all 4 bedrooms.
Touch-up paint in upstairs hallway.
New vanity in upstairs bath, re-coat the porcelain tub, paint, new mirror.
Paint downstairs bath.
Hardcore clean basement, paint basement. New cabinet in laundry area.
"Stage" and organize everywhere.

Done:
New paint in 4-seasons room.
New paint in mudroom.
Newer paint in upstairs hallway.

Today, I sat and went over a price list I did on Friday at Menards for a new kitchen. It was too much fun sitting down with the cabinet girl and her nifty computer. Grand total to redesign with custom cabinets came to: 5500 bucks. This doesn't include counter tops. Our budget for the ENTIRE kitchen is about 4000-5000 bucks (which will be about what we get on our next tax return).

Today, for at least the fourth time, I sat and priced out off-the-shelf cabinets. I've looked at Ikea, Lowes, and Menards so far. And so far, I can do the entire kitchen - countertops and all - for about 2500. I really don't want the cabinets to look cheap, though! I'm sure I'll be in the stores eye-balling all the cabinets MANY times.

There is also some electrical to do in the kitchen, and I have to move the dishwasher to the other side of the sink. And, from watching DIY Network and HGTV, I know that there will be amazing snags. Especially because it's a super old kitchen. So, who knows what we'll find! I'm tempted to just paint the cabinets, get new counter tops and then leave it alone. It would work ok. But I would like to be able to say the kitchen is totally remodeled.

Soon, when I get some "before pics" posted, I would love some advice and tips and opinions!

No comments:

Post a Comment